[thebigjewel] Climbing Everest - June 4, 2008

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 05:28:49 -0600 (MDT)

Welcome to The Big Jewel, which many consider the summit of human
civilization. This week our favorite sherpa Matt Moskovciak regales us
with one of the shortest pieces we've ever published, about the world's
tallest mountain and the people who keep trying to climb it because it's
there:

Climbing Everest

By Matt Moskovciak

I pulled my icepick from the frozen snow and carefully advanced another
step. Craning my neck, I could finally see over the tip of Everest, like a
god surveying the earth. My lifelong dream had been accomplished; I was
the master of nature. I stripped off my clothes and made myself a dry
martini, no ice...