[thebigjewel] Bartlett's Unfamiliar Quotations - January 17, 2007

  • From: "The Big Jewel" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thebigjewel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:22:58 -0700 (MST)

Welcome to The Big Jewel, where we wish we could remember that clever
thing that some historical figure said at one time or another. Oh
fortunate happenstance that David Martin does remember -- although
sometimes we pine for a big staff like they have at the New Yorker so we
could check his facts. But no matter. A good quote is a good quote even if
no one ever said it:

"Bartlett's Unfamiliar Quotations"

By David Martin

Selected entries from Bartlett's Unfamiliar Quotations (first edition):

Socrates (469 - 399 B.C.)
"I didn't know you could make tea from hemlock."

Jesus (ca. 1 - 33)
"Now after I'm gone, don't go adding a bunch of elaborate rituals"...

neilpasricha@xxxxxxxxx