[TextEditor_mcc] Re: type usage in amiga sources

  • From: Gunther Nikl <gni@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: texteditor_mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:15:34 +0200

Hello Ilkka,

> > I know that every system uses a different GCC version with different
> > defaults for char signedness (OS4: 3.4.x,4.0; MOS: 2.95.3; 68k: 2.95.x,
> > 3.3.x, 3.4.x, 4.x). Especially GCC4 can be annoying with its pointer
>
> Strange compilers you are using. Cant you all default to GCC2? :-)

  Maybe MOS should switch to an newer version as original 2.95.3 has some
  bugs on PPC as I had to learn myself ;-)

> Okay, restored and committed. CONST CONST_STRPTR is mostly cosmetical.

  Thank you. Note: I all wanted with my mail was to make other developers
  aware that there is an issue with types.
  And there are other issue like different NDK versions to name just one.

> > signedness warnings. And this change in hotkeystring/HandleInput.c
> > introduces such warnings since CONST_STRPTR is with the 3.9 NDK exec/types.h
> > "unsigned char *" (3.5 had "char *"). Mix this with standard "char" (thats
> > what most standard functions use) and you get nasty results. Thus I think
> > "char *" was the right choice in this case and I think "CONST CONST_STRPTR"
> > looks rather strange ;-)
>
> There probably should be standard CodingStyle doc?

  Probably there should, yes. Jens? ;-)

> I had no idea of char madness (in fact never did much of C coding on 3.x).

  I believe the problem was there before GCC4 but only C++ complained
  by default. Personally, I don't think this GCC4 warning is very helpful
  but GCC developers seem to think different.

  Gunther

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value
 - Jamie Zawinski