[TextEditor-mcc] Re: cross platform ->AROS

  • From: Thore Böckelmann <tboeckel@xxxxxx>
  • To: texteditor_mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:29:47 +0200

Hi Thore!

Am 28.04.2008 schrieb Thore Böckelmann:

> Don't know what's going wrong. I get the same error message when reading the
> mails with YAM. But I didn't change anything in ThunderBird's configuration
> recently.

Oh well, I just checked the source and I must say everything is alright. At
least YAM is not to blame. The quoted printable decoding function tries to
decode the entire mail text body, which includes the footer added by the mailing
list software. The help text contains the substring "Subject=HELP" and the QP
decoder stumbles over '=H' sequence. This one is no valid QP sequence and hence
YAM's error message is completely valid, as well as pine's. ThunderBird seems to
simply ignore such errors. Must be some kind of a "Why bother the sub-average
users with errors they don't know anything about?" workaround.

Ilkka's mails has a content-transfer-encoded of "8bit", while mine has
"quoted-printable". This explains why Ilkka's mails don't cause any trouble, but
mine do. I also get the same error message when reading other mails, which
contain a qp-encoded HTML part where some links are not correctly encoded.

I'd say the mailing list software must be fixed, or at least the automatically
appended footer. Alternatively YAM could be changed to skip this return code
(-3) of qp_decode_file() silently.

Jens, I think you are the person who should decide that.

--
Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos

Thore Böckelmann - Rehmerloh, Germany
tboeckel at gmx dot de

TextEditor ML   - //www.freelists.org/list/texteditor_mcc