[TextEditor-mcc] Re: TextEditor built-in shortcuts

  • From: Jens Langner <Jens.Langner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texteditor_mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 00:33:27 +0200

Hello Gianfranco,

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 20:15:26 +0200, Gianfranco "ShInKurO" Gignina wrote:

>> There is a wrong built-it association done by TextEditor:
>> Select All is associated to Right-Amiga-A, and this is a just Amiga
>> standard short-cut which is associated to "Save As..." function (Read
>> Amiga User Interface Style Guide). So a program which manages shortcuts
>> which wants respect Amiga UI Style Guide goes to some conflicts...

Please define which "Amiga UI Style Guide" you are referring to? And please
keep in mind that the last official style guide from Commodore is more than
15 years old and that the world moved oin during that time. Sorry to say so,
but IMHO the last official Amiga style guide is obsolete today and need to be
updated to the commonly used standards which other operating systems comply
to. And hotkey conflicts is a common issue for AmigaOS which can't be easily
solved, I'am afraid. If there is a hotkey conflict in an application using
TE.mcc than this application ought to compensate that by using a different
shortcut instead. However, for Betterstring.mcc you can disable the internal
shortcuts via a MUIA_BetterString_NoShortcuts tag item and handle the key
actions yourself.

> This problem appears on MUI3.8/OS3.9, while on OS4 built-in menu
> shortcuts seems to overwrite TE ones... On MUI3.8 if you click into TE
> then TE builtin shortcuts work, while if you deselect the window and
> re-select it without to click into texteditor then menu shortcuts
> overwrite TE ones.

In fact this is a bug in MUI3.8 which was fixed with version 3.9+ so that menu
short overwriting is less cumbersome.

Jens Langner, Dresden/Germany

Lisp programmers do it recursively.