[TextEditor-mcc] Re: MUIA_TextEditor_ContentsLen

  • From: Jens Langner <Jens.Langner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texteditor_mcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 17:12:27 +0200

Hi Gianfranco,

Gianfranco "ShInKurO" Gignina schrieb:

> Il 13-Mag-2009, Jens Langner scrisse:
>
>> In fact, it would simple do what you are currently doing yourself. Call
>> ExportTest(), do a strlen(), and FreeVec() it again and then return the
>> length. Nothing more really.
>>

> Maybe it's good in any case to leave MUIA_TextEditor_ContentsLen and to
> specify what it really returns into documentation, in fact in any case it
> is more efficient than my old solution out TE class and this attribute
> could be useful in many cases which doesn't concern what kind of exporthook
> will be used... you see it as a easy way to take that information without
> to poke into TE...

Well, this still doesn't convince me really. Just because we can extract
some information and supply it to developers using TE.mcc doesn't mean
that this is correct. The problem is that the information you return
with ContentsLen is not guaranteed to be true. This is no matter of
being more efficient or useful. The problem is that in case ContentsLen
returns > 0 you can not be sure that the real content (after being
processed by the ExportHook) is really > 0. So the question still stands
what use you can get out of such a attribute if you can not be sure that
 it returns information which is useful. So I still have to object and
suggest to better introduce an MUIM_TextEditor_ExportTextLen method
instead. Or you or anyone else comes up with a better explaination why
we should keep that ContentsLen attribute.

>> YAM for AROS will take some time, I am afraid. In fact, I haven't even
>> tested the cross-compiler TextEditor.mcc for AROS yet. Do you have a
>> running cross-compiler for AROS? If so, I would highly appreciate it if
>> you could compile TE.mcc for AROS with the current sources and see if
>> it still runs fine.
>
> I was thinking exactly this, I'll see what I can compile and in case report
> in this ml my experience...

Ok thanks. Let us know if it still works on AROS or not.

regards,
jens
--
Jens Langner, Dresden/Germany