[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] "no hope" - where are Inca Doves?

  • From: Jim Paton <jnpaton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 15:43:07 -0700

Inca Dove has all but disappeared from my area of El Paso - residential
neighborhoods in the Rio Grande floodplain on the west side of town - where
formerly common. I have yet to see one in my yard in 2012. It has always been
one of my first birds of the year before this year. I jog extensively in
surrounding neighborhoods and the irrigation ditches I run on which always held
Inca Doves now have none. I was wondering if others have seen a precipitous
decline in their area? It may be tempting to blame E. C-Dove but I think
something else is at work. I say this because E C-Dove numbers have been steady
here for at least seven years now, long preceding the drop in Inca numbers.
Drought and record cold snaps in Feb. a
TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
nd Dec 2011 may also be factors.   Jim
Paton, El Paso