[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Sendera ponds - southwest Austin

Hi Texbirds,

This morning I stopped by the Sendera ponds (intersection of Bremner &
Companeros) for the first time in several months.  Both ponds are full, and
look like they had been overly-full judging by the "wrack" line that rings
both of them.

That wrack line was the focus of about 15 Purple Martins who were busily
collecting nesting material from it.  They would grab gobs of soggy, muddy
green veg and take off heading southwest from the ponds.  There was a
constant chatter going on as they did so.  I love their sounds.  They rank
right up there with Sandhill Cranes in the cool-bird-sounds department,
imho.  With the sun shining on them they were gorgeous.  And darnit, I
didn't have my camera with me.  As I drove out of the neighborhood I went
looking for their house, but couldn't find it.  If any of you happen to know
where their Martin house is, please let me know.

Also present were about 20 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks who looked like
they were holding take-off and landing games.  Several of them would take to
the air, cruise for a while and then land again.  Then another batch would
do the same thing.  All the while there would be much squealing going on,
creating a boisterous clamor.  It reminded me of the cheering crowds at the
Celtic games I've attended when a participant would throw the hammer or toss
the caber.  Funny!

Other notable birds present were about 6 Barn Swallows, 2 Blue-winged Teal
(male and female, pair?), and a single Red-winged Blackbird.  That was the
first time I have seen RWBL at that location.

Lori Markoff
far southwest Austin

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds