[texbirds] proposed subspecies of Black-tailed Godwit at Brazoria

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 10:36:12 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Black-tailed Godwit (Limosa limosa) that recently has been at the
Brazoria NWR appears to me, based solely on the photos I have seen--I have
not been to see the bird--most likely to be of the nominate subspecies,
limosa. Limosa is, on average (albeit with some distributional overlap), the
largest, longest-billed, longest-necked, and longest-legged of the three
subspecies of Black-tailed Godwit. It thus tends to provide quite a
different giss (general impression of size and shape) than the usually
shorter-billed, shorter-necked (giving, sometimes, a thick-necked
appearance), and shorter-legged islandica. I have gained this impression
from two personal encounters with single individuals of this species (NY and
Delaware)--one islandica and one limosa--but, more generally, from the
numerous photos of these subspecies that I have studied. In the case of a
bird with rather worn-looking plumage, such as this, I suggest that giss may
be the most reliable indicator of subspecies. To me the giss of this bird
fairly shouts "limosa." There are other features of this bird--again, based
on the photos--that seem concurrent with that view, but, again, they may not
be terribly reliable indicators, especially in a bird that looks this worn
and on the basis, in my case, of photos. I deem the subspecies melanuroides
to be out of the question, on the basis of size and other structural
features related to giss. My suggestion here is, again, solely on the basis
of photos, and it would be interesting to hear from those who have studied
the bird in the field (and perhaps have looked at good-quality sets of
photos by several visitors).

Most important right now, though, are regularly updated reports on the
presence or absence of this Black-tailed Godwit. Because this bird may still
draw birders from wide-ranging places, it can be hoped that failures to find
it will, like finding it, be promptly reported. Best wishes to those who
come to see this bird! Based on personal experience with two individuals of
this species (different subspecies in different states; see above) whose
sites I visited more than once, those wishing to see this bird should not be
dismayed if it is not there when you arrive. This species can move around
quite a bit but often will come back to a particular site. The Brazoria bird
has itself exhibited such behavior, so patience may optimize one's chance of
seeing it.

Rex Stanford
McAllen, TX

Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds