[texbirds]

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 16:23:57 -0500

Greetings All
This year's game, titled 'A Slightly Bigger Patch' is to see how many species
of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and mammal I can find in my
home region.
The LEAS region includes fifteen counties (Bailey, Lamb, Hale, Floyd, Motley,
Cochran, Hockley, Lubbock, Crosby, Dickens, Yoakum,Terry, Lynn, Garza,
and Kent)
and, with portions of the region below andatop the Caprock Escarpment, offers a
fairly wide variety of habitats.  My goals for the year are 75 species of
butterfly, 10 species of amphibian, 25 species of reptile, 300 species of bird,
and 25 species of mammal.

May actually, thanks to arduous effort throughout the month and heavy rains at
the end of the month, kicked tushie.  I spent fifty-one hours in the field, came
close to sweeping the amphibians of the region, and did well in all of the other
categories as well, spotting 36 species of butterfly, 12 species of
amphibian, 21
species of reptile, 172 species of bird, and 22 species of mammal.

This brought the totals for the year up to 51 species of butterfly (67%), 12
species of amphibian (120%), 25 species of reptile (100%), 254 species of bird
(85%), and 27 species of mammal (108%).

As mentioned in a separate and earlier post, Rich Kostecke and I are, however
briefly, tied (254 bird species to 254 bird species) in our regional
competition and I will continue to track and post that savaging separately.

Without further ado, the April list for the LEAS region - with new additions
*sked.

Outis Skipper
Funereal Duskywing
Common Checkered Skipper