[texbirds] Young Hawk ID

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 20:00:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

I "shot" an immature hawk at Old Hidalgo Pumphouse last month (on the 6th)
that I initially ID'd as a Swainson's, mainly due to the shape, but as I'm
reviewing the photos the paleness of the bird bothers me, and I'm now
wondering  whether I actually have a young Broad-winged (the date is apparently
still good,  although on the tail end of their migration time here).  The
photo is on  the Big Year blog for that date; here's the link, and then you
have to scroll  down:

_http://miriameaglemon.com/Big%20Year%202012/May/May%206%20-%20Hidalgo.html_

(http://miriameaglemon.com/Big%20Year%202012/May/May%206%20-%20Hidalgo.html)

Thanks for any feedback!  MB