[texbirds] Waller County - grasshopper sparrows and other notes

  • From: "Harvey Laas" <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:44:37 -0500

All Spring and into late May I have seen a significant number of grasshopper
sparrows on the place.  Probably as many as a dozen in one day.   They all
pretty much seemed to be on territory, and could be found in same spots
consistently.  Once they stopped singing they became much harder to locate,
although I still had a couple of single sightings this month.  Today in a
spot along a field road where I had regularly seen a pair in April and May I
flushed either 4 or 5 birds.  I did not get a really long look, but at least
one appeared to be a juvenile.  Given the numbers at that spot I would say
it is highly likely that there has been a successful nest which I think is
pretty unusual for Waller County.

In other notes:  Saw the first young quail of the year today.  Also, had 5
bonehead cranes (wood storks to the etimologically correct) and a rosette
spoonbill.  Both of these are firsts for the year on the ranch.  All in all
seems to be a good year for the rearing of young.  Have seen at least two
sets of common gallinule young, two sets of BB whistling ducks, and the
usual local song bird young.

Harvey Laas

10 miles N of Brookshire

Not quite far enough from civilization