[texbirds] W Kingbirds at CyFair

  • From: engintsf@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:59:56 -0400 (EDT)

Several people have emailed me to ask about the nesting Western Kingbirds on
the LSC-CyFair campus.
I have found two nests so far.
An adult is still sitting on one nest, under the southeast corner of the
basketball court roof. The eggs should be hatching soon. To find this nest,
drive onto the campus from Barker Cypress. Bear right at the first junction and
again at the first Stop sign. Drive straight until you reach the third Stop
sign. Turn left here and then almost immediately right into a small parking lot
next to the tennis courts. The basketball court is on the south side of the
tennis courts.
The other nest already has (three?) hatched birds in it. To reach this nest,
turn West onto West road from Barker Cypress. Take the second college entrance
road on the right. At the end of this entrance road, turn right. The nest is in
the line of trees dividing parking areas I-1 and J-1. It is about 15 feet up in
the small pine tree closest to the Technology building.
I believe there is at least one more nest, somewhere near the Arts building,
but I haven’t located this one yet.
Jeff Mohamed
Cypress