[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 16:19:27 -0500

Windy, dusty and extremely dry conditions are not the best recipe for good
birding but you have to go with what you get.  I am just thankful that the
conditions were not such last year at this time when we had our bird festival.
Those of you that attended probably remember the ideal conditions at that time.
 BUT, the shorebirds continue to amaze with extensive mudflats that evidently
contain a lot to eat.  I don't know if the Phalaropes are staying are if they
are continuously coming and going but there have been more than I have ever
seen at the refuge.  We had at least 2500 Wilson's Phalaropes today and that is
a very conservative estimate. In the fields near Wildlife Drive and Silliman
Rd., the Male Bobolinks are showing up in good numbers and are singing along
with Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Dickcissels and Grasshopper Sparrows. The
Bobolinks might be here for a few more days. We also had 25 Hudsonian Godwits,
some of which were feeding in Muleshoe Marsh.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S18253606
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.Edit your
Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at