[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 15:11:27 -0500

We saw 80 species on our weekly bird census.
American Bittern are still hanging out in Taylor Pond and there is also a
Pied-billed Grebe nest visible in Taylor marsh from Wildlife Dr. Least Terns
are starting to return and the refuge maintenance personnel are working
feverishly on a floating nesting island which should be finished next week.  We
really need some rain to bring up the lake level.  The marshes still have some
water and the pumps will start running tomorrow to bring up the level in
Muleshoe marsh and the southern most marsh on Wildlife Dr. The refuge really
looks good now and there are still Bobolinks in the fields of vetch near
Silliman Rd.
View the checklist online
athttp://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14112992
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR.