[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 19:32:08 -0600

We tallied 66 species on our count today. We only saw 15 white geese which is
probably best because the grain needs a bit more time to get established after
the recent rains. The immature White Ibis is still hanging around. Some of the
group saw a Bald Eagle before we went out. We had a flyby male Northern Harrier
on a Short Road. We saw a couple of groups of American Goldfinches and a least
one Pine Siskin. There were quite a few ducks on the lake and in the marshes.
On the lake we saw mostly Redheads with Lesser Scaups, Ring-necked, Ruddy,
Canvasbacks, Gadwalls and Northern Pintails mixed in. At Dead Woman Pond we
found a Belted Kingfisher and the Red-headed Woodpeckers were active there.
http://ebird.org/ebird/iss/view/checklist?subID=S25687435
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR.