[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 17:20:25 -0500

With a van full of birders we found 54 species. But it was quite a morning. A
cool morning with good light as we started we observed the Marbled Godwit up
close. This bird has been here for a couple of weeks or more. Then we watched
Wilson's Snipes, Stilt Sandpipers and Long-billed Dowitchers in Mineral Marsh.
We went on to Steedman Marsh and were observing Killdeer and Least Sandpipers
when all of a sudden a Peregrine Falcon swooped in and captured one of the
birds and took it up into the first tree on Tern Pad and proceeded to eat it
and we all were afforded excellent views with spotting scopes. At the end of
the day we had a flyby Osprey.
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.Edit your
Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at