[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:13:22 -0500

On a cloudy morning with a bit of a nip to the air we enjoyed some really good
birding and wildlife viewing.
We finished the day with 78 species + 2 other taxa.  Some notable sightings
were a lone Cackling Goose mixed in with a flock of Lesser Canada Geese near
the Hagerman Cemetary, 7 Wood Ducks and 6 Hooded Mergansers at Deaver Pond. The
Blue-winged Teal have started their northward journey and we saw at least two
dozen. Off the end of Plover we observed 22 American White Pelicans and a
Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk. We saw a mature Bald Eagle on three different
occasions, one of which was a close fly by while we were on L pad observing a
female Spotted Towhee along with Field Sparrows and Song Sparrows. There were
12 Least Sandpipers and 45 Wilson's Snipe in the marsh north of the road to
Plover Pad. On the road to Meadow Pond we found a couple of Pileated
Woodpeckers, a Barred Owl and a Greater Roadrunner. We heard a Marsh Wren and
saw the first Purple Martins of the season and a Tree Swallow at Mineral Marsh.
There was a Merlin near the last corner on Refuge Road coming into the refuge.
Wildlife was abundant with a River Otter catching fish in the lake at the
bottom of the long hill at Goode.  The otter would dive and then very quickly
come up quite a distance from where it dove with a fish in its mouth. At Deaver
there were a couple of a Beaver taking it easy on a small island.  Deer and
armadillos were seen at several locations and also a group of wild hogs on a
utility easement near Meadow Pond. It was one of those days when there was
never a dull moment and a lot of the birds are beginning to sing.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S22285328
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer at Hagerman NWR.