[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 18:27:12 -0600

On our first bird census of the new year we had a good day tallying 69 species
+3 other taxa.  Large numbers of Northern Pintails continue to impress. The
road to Meadow Pond was good to us today with a group of 40 Wild Turkeys eating
in a field and at another stop where we were treated to White-breasted
Nuthatches, Brown Creepers and a Golden-crowned Kinglet. We had excellent views
of a male Eastern Towhee on the road to Goode. Near the low water crossing
north of headquarters we saw a Common Yellowthroat and a Swamp Sparrow.  There
was a group of 11 Canvasbacks and 2 Lesser Scaups in the pond near the cemetery.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/emailsubID=S21224867
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR.Edit your
Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at