[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 18:30:00 -0600

The day started with fog so thick it was a challenge just to get to the refuge.
 Once there the only birds you could see well enough to ID were those that were
very close. The first order of business was to go to an area near Tern Pad
where Bill Powell told me he had seen an American Bittern late yesterday.
Thanks to the sharp eyes of Eileen Sullivan we soon found the bittern.  This
was a great start on a day that the fog did not clear until nearly 11a.m. The
Marsh Wrens and Common Yellowthroats are still present in the cattails at
Meyers Branch north of headquarters. One item of interest near the end of our
census was a group of almost 2,000 white geese on Goose Point that was
comprised of almost exclusively Ross's Geese.  I think this is probably the
most Ross's Geese that I have ever seen in one compact group.  The mature Bald
Eagle was hanging out near C Pad.  A group of 3000 Northern Pintails were in
the Smartweed near C pad. We finished the day with 59 species plus 3 other
taxa. No matter what the weather it can still be surprisingly good for birding
at the refuge.
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.