[texbirds] Report on Houston Exotic field trip

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:15:08 +0000

Dear Texbirders,

I have attempted to send a html file with photos. It may come out a mess. These
trips are run by Pct 3 and are free for seniors of 50 years or more. Many
people have asked to know where we found what. I can send this as a word file
and answer any other questions if you want more info. These birds were also put
into e-bird so locations may be seen there also.

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park
Commissioner Steve Radack
Harris County Precinct 3
www.pct3.hctx.net<http://www.pct3.hctx.net>

June 8, 2012 Senior Birding Bus Trip from Kleb Woods Nature Center.
In Search of Exotics

Our group left Kleb Woods shortly after 8 a.m. and traveled to Precinct 3's Art
Storey Park on the Sam Houston Toll Road. Our quest at this location was the
Orange Bishop.  These birds as well as Nutmeg Manikins are among the most
common and inexpensive cage birds currently being imported. Many are
purposefully released as good blessings. The Orange Bishop is an African finch
that looks very much like a House Sparrow but with a yellowish cast. It has a
very short tail and that feature combined with its stout bill sometimes causes
it to be misidentified as a Grasshopper Sparrow. The males in breeding plumage
are boldly marked with black and orange and are unmistakable.  We had poor and
fleeting glimpses at the park but eventually found a slightly more
accommodating flock in the sunflowers in the area behind a nearby shopping
center.

[http://www.ge.tt/api/1/files/14U4FwI/34/blob/x675]
Participants work for Orange Bishops feeding in the sunflowers. Photo by George
Valdez

[Orange Bishop - F].[untitled-2694].[IMG_7086_edited-1]
At left an immature Orange Bishop. Photo by BeaAnn Kelly. Center is a Cliff
Swallow with its light forehead and dark throat. Photo by Jim Kelly. At right
is a Cave Swallow with its dark forehead and light throat. Photo by Cathy
Willis.

In addition to the bishops the group found a variety of water birds and had an
opportunity to study both Cliff and Cave Swallows under the feeder road
overpass. Other exotic species seen at this park included Rock Pigeon (from
Europe), European Starling, and House Sparrow which is also from Europe.

The next stop for the morning was another Pct 3 park, Archbishop Joseph A.
Fiorenza Park off Eldridge Rd.  There the group found a group of nesting Monk
Parakeets. These birds are from Argentina originally and have been in this area
from at least the early 1970s when they escaped from the pet trade. They nest
in high voltage transmission line towers and are therefore safe from humans
that might rob the nest. Babies still sell for $150 in pet stores in spite of
the fact that there are thousands flying loose about the Houston-Galveston
area. In fact there are free flying flocks in most large Texas cities. This
stop also provided some nice studies of Western Kingbirds that also use the
same transmission towers as nest sites.

[http://www.ge.tt/api/1/files/14U4FwI/0/blob/x675]. [Monk Parakeets & W.
Kingbird perched]
At left, transmission tower with parakeet nest, photo by George Valdez.  At
right, Monk Parakeets with Western Kingbird in middle. Photo by BeaAnn Kelly.

Following this stop we went into the Memorial residential area to find Peafowl.
There is a sizable population in the area bordered on the east by Kirkwood, the
south by Buffalo Bayou and on the north by Memorial Drive. We stopped at River
Forest and watched 16 peacock and peahens. Several males were in full display.
In previous trips to this street, Whitewing Lane, and Rancho Bauer I have found
as many as 38 birds in a short time including a hen with downy chicks roaming
about. The participants were overjoyed with the actions and beauty of the
birds. This flock was started in 1980 and persists without support beyond some
supplemental feeding by area residents.  These peacocks are native to India.

[DSC03379_01 (M) Peacock (SBT 6-8-12)]
A stunning peacock displays to an antagonist to the delight of participants and
perhaps a coy hen. Photo by Kris Mikel.

After the peacocks, the group headed to the Heights where they had lunch at
BB's Café on White Oak.  From there they went to the 400 block of Aurora Street
in search of another Indian species, Red-vented Bulbul.  This bird was a bit
elusive but once the group located a bird they were rewarded with wonderful
views and behaviors. By the time the group left, they had a good feel for
exactly what a bulbul is. They saw it skulk in a fig tree, fly catch in a
pecan, and glean from a variety of leaved trees. And even sit on its nest!  The
group also saw a rare native species, a summering Broadwing Hawk soaring
overhead. While walking the neighborhood in search of the bulbuls some of the
group encountered a free ranging flock of domestic Helmeted Guineafowl.

[IMG_7239_edited-1].[untitled-2811]
At left, Red-vented Bulbul displaying its crest. Photo by Cathy Willis. At
Right, the same bulbul in a relaxed state. Photo by Jim Kelly.

[untitled-2883]. [Exotic birds of Houston-2-24]
At left Red-vented Bulbul showing its characteristic red vent area. Photo by
Jim Kelly. At right a bulbul sits on its nest. Photo by BeaAnn Kelly.

[Exotic birds of Houston-2-26]. [Helmetted Guinea Fowl]
At left, soaring Broadwing Hawk, at right, a Helmeted Guineafowl. Photos by
BeaAnn Kelly.

The bus then took the group to the Summerwood subdivision off West Lake Houston
Parkway to the common area lakes. There the group found a large flock of
domestic ducks and geese which was accompanied by 14 feral Egyptian Geese.
These geese are from Africa and have been liberated or escaped from waterfowl
collections. They roam the area sometimes being seen at Deussen Park on Lake
Houston and sometimes at this location. They are relatively tame but not as
free-loading as the domestic ducks at this neighborhood lake.

[IMG_7273_edited-1].[http://www.ge.tt/api/1/files/14U4FwI/75/blob/x675]
At left a pair of Egyptian Geese. Photo by Cathy Willis. At right, a Swan Goose
and Muscovy Ducks. Photos by George Valdez.

[http://www.ge.tt/api/1/files/14U4FwI/19/blob/x675].[http://www.ge.tt/api/1/files/14U4FwI/3A/blob/x675]
At left, a hybrid mallard/domestic duck. At right, The goose derives its name
from its swan-like posture while swimming. Photos by George Valdez.

The final bird stop of the day was near the airport exit off Beltway 8 where we
drove by a pair of resident Mute Swans. This is a "kept" pair but the species
is occasionally feral in north Harris County and may be seen flying about.

[Mute Swans]
Pair of Mute Swans. Photo by BeaAnn Kelly.

The final stop of the day was a group favorite, Dairy Queen! A toast was made
with waffle cones for a successful day. Happy trails to you until we meet again
on our next senior birding bus trip.

[IMG_7268_edited-1]
Photo by Cathy Willis.

Kleb Woods Nature Center Senior Bus Trip Checklist

Urban Houston 06/08/12

Species

Species

10

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck

20

Mourning Dove

14

Egyptian Goose

5

Monk Parakeet

1

Barnyard/Chinese Goose

1

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

2

Mute Swan

2

Chimney Swift

50

Muscovy Duck-domestic type

3

Red-bellied Woodpecker

1

Barnyard/Domestic Duck

1

Downy Woodpecker

28

Mallard

6

Western Kingbird

16

Indian Peacock- domestic type

2

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

3

Helmeted Guineafowl

2

Loggerhead Shrike

35

Neotropic Cormorant

5

Blue Jay

2

Great Blue Heron

1

Fish Crow

5

Great Egret

6

Purple Martin

2

Snowy Egret

20

Cliff Swallow

5

Little Blue Heron

20

Cave Swallow

1

Tricolored Heron

6

Barn Swallow

100

Cattle Egret

2

Red-vented Bulbul

1

Green Heron

2

Eastern Bluebird

5

Yellow-crowned Night-heron

1

American Robin

1

Black-crowned Night-heron

4

Northern Mockingbird

3

White Ibis

22

European Starling

3

Black Vulture

8

Red-winged Blackbird

3

Turkey Vulture

2

Eastern Meadowlark

14

Broad-winged Hawk

5

Common Grackle

1

Red-shoulered Hawk

30

Great-tailed Grackle

1

Swainson's Hawk

10

House Sparrow

2

American Coot

 0

Nutmeg Mannikin MISSED

1

Killdeer

30

Orange Bishop

1

Black-necked Stilt

8

Laughing Gull

12

Rock Pigeon

30

Eurasian Collared-Dove

30

White-winged Dove

Bold font birds are exotic species not native to the United States

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image