[texbirds] Painted Bunting color variation Kingsland

  • From: David Bryant <highlandbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 05:11:09 -0700 (PDT)

As the wild flowers and seeds have begun to dry up, I have noticed more Painted
Buntings in my yard.  The red and blue colors on the males always seem to be
about the same, but I have seen a large variation in the yellow color of their
backs.  There have been birds whose back is a rich gold, pale yellow, yellow
green and even what I would call chartreuse.  Saturday, I saw a bird with red
colors on it's back.  Does anybody know if these variations indicate different
sub species or are they just genetic anomalies?

I saw a bird here recently that I can't figure out or find in any of my guide
books.  I am going to try to post a link to some pictures, but my Picasa albums
seem to have been changes to Google + and I'm not sure they will share properly.

The bird is apparently a young of the year.  It is between a bunting (5.5") and
a cardinal (8") in size.  It has a yellow lower beak and a black upper beak.
It doesn't appear to have any color but light brown.  It is heavily streaked in
the chest and belly and is a seed eater.

A link to some pictures including one also showing a young cardinal for size
comparison my be here.

https://plus.google.com/photos/104550265337470389424/albums/5757936989837008289?authkey=CJjp9d6ustL3PQ

David Bryant
Kingsland TX