[texbirds] Non Subscriber Posts and Overquoting

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:11:38 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The new server allows the setting that posts from non subscribers go
to moderation and can be approved for distributions. I used this
setting during the initial ramp up of this server. I've decided to
continue it so it will be possible to read TEXBIRDS via the archives
and post. What you won't be able to do is see the email address of
those who post. I've been trying to check moderated posts several
times a day (lots of spam in it too), but there are just going to be
times when I can't watch it close, like this weekend when I will be
moving. Moderated posts will at times get delayed.

My advise is if you wish to do something like that is to subscribe and
set yourself to digest and filter the digest posts to a folder. All
new subscribers are on moderation when they subscribe, but after your
first post you will likely be taken off moderation if your posts
conforms to the rules and you are instate. I generally leave out of
state or visiting birders on moderation for 3-4 posts until I get a
track record for them on following the rules, but most will get off
moderation. Out of state birders who I recognize as having a history
with texbirds will also get off right away. I just turned the auto
moderation of subscribers on so if you are in the first 900 or so
subscribers on the new server you're not moderated.

The new server also allows me to moderate messages that go over a
limit on quoting more than a set number of lines. I have that set to
14 with a warning at 20 lines. What this means is your post will go to
moderation to be approved if you quote more than 20 lines from another
message. I will generally approve a message with 25 line of quotes
unless its a "me too" type post.

I know many mail programs quote the entire message by default. Please
trim the quote down to just what is relevant to your post. In many
threads there really is no need to quote a previous message. There
certainly is no need to include the entire thread in your post!

Houston, TX
(713) 412-4409 twitter ID dsarkozi