[texbirds] Lometa Reservoir

  • From: L Markoff <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 17:33:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Texbirds,

Am in Amarillo tonight enroute to Colorado.  There was good rain along most of
the route here today, quite different than when I came through here for the TOS
winter meeting.  I stopped at Lometa Reservoir again, a place I enjoyed in
January.  I had planned to scope it but rain was constant, so I had a change of
heart (wussed out) and birded from the car instead.  At times the rain was
heavy enough that it came in the windows which made even car birding tricky.
With rain and very dark skies it was difficult to make out birds on the water,
but in addition to a few Coots and a Great Blue Heron I saw 2 White-faced
Ibis.  There were a few more birds further out that I don't think were Coots,
but were too far for me to id.

Best birds for me were quite a few Dickcissels who were "singing in the rain."
Also, a singing male Orchard Oriole, very nice.  Cute bird award goes to the
bedraggled Cave Swallow youngsters sitting in a row on the fence, sweet!

Driving through the rain was glorious, and it made for many active birds to
watch along the way.  Btw, if you want a treat next time you are on the road
through Scissor-tailed Flycatcher territory be sure to play some Vivaldi as you
go.  That music suits them, so beautiful!

Lori Markoff
Austin