[texbirds] Last week pictures, olive-sided flycatcher, parts of gallinules, and terns and shorebirds etc

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 16:34:14 -0500

I started the day at Anahuac where a purple gallinule was eating grass seed
to close to really take pictures. I could get some pictures of parts of the
bird like the top of his head
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188649

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188650

His tail
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188647

And how he uses his feet to hold the grass stead as he strips the seed. He
pulls the seeds through the closed beak and detaches the edible goodies
inside the mouth
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188645

Young yellow-crowned night herons were really common around shoveler pond
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188642

And cattle egrets are losing their breeding plumage
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188641

There are still a few young of the year eastern willets lingering but most
of those will be gone by now
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188740

One small patch was all the shorebird habitit I found away from the beach
and it had pectoral sandpipers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188742

Semipalmated sandpipers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188743

A solitary solitary sandpiper
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188745

Several rapidly molting stilt sandpipers. they seem to lose their feathers
in a hurry ala dowitchers and godwits
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188747

Some still have striping underneath
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188749

Many of the western sandpipers only have a few reddish back feathers left
but still have breast chevrons
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188754

Others appear non-descript
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188757

Good numbers of black terns are arriving and quite a few are still fully
black but again the start a rapid molt.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188827

Others probably are among the summering birds. Perhaps they hang around the
beach to do a lot of the molting and then go and join the great flocks
offshore in the gulfweed
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188832

A young of the year forster's tern has really bright clean plumage with no
trace of juvenile feathers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188833

Young of the year laughing gulls are already replacing their brown feathers
with winter gray
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188835

Many of the royal terns are in winter plumage
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188837

Parent sandwich terns are really getting tired of children continuing to
beg for food and are not feeding like a month ago
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188840

Some traces of summer remain with eastern meadowlarks in full song
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188957

While olive-sided flycatchers are arriving on their way to south america.
This one at Quintana has a very good vest; many of the birds at Smith Point
have worn feathers and dingier vest markings
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188963

But they are big headed. This bird had no sign of it white tufts except
when it did a really tortuous scratching procedure
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188967

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/145188966

All the pictures can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox