[texbirds] Highlights from one Plains BBS today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 13:58:37 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:

I completed the Breeding Bird Survey northwest of Plains (bridging Yoakum and
Cochran Counties) and managed a total of two highlights along the route: I
Lesser Prairie Chicken on the Yoakum County portion of the route and 1 Lesser
Prairie Chicken along the Cochran County portion of the route.

Incidental highlights for the day: 4 Black-necked Stilts and 16 American
Avocets in a freshly-flooded playa west of Whiteface (Cochran County) and 1
Great Egret at Maxey Park in Lubbock (Lubbock County).

Hopefully I will complete the other Plains BBS (located east of Plains)
tomorrow ... though some of the roads were a bit 'interesting' today and
tomorrow's route is generally the more 'interesting' of the two.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock