[texbirds] Gray-faced Great Horned Owl question

  • From: "Kleb Woods (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <klebwoods@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 21:45:02 +0000

Twice now we have seen a Great Horned Owl at Kleb Woods Nature Preserve with a
gray face.  Photos can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwnp/sets/72157630017384444/

All of our other Great Horned Owl photos, including photos of babies in the
nest, show a tawny-orange face.  Sibley shows the Eastern owls with a
tawny-orange face and the Adult Southwest owls with a gray to rusty face.  It
does say there many intermediate subspecies and intergrades, but I was
wondering if anyone else has seen gray-faced Great Horned Owls this far east.
How common are they?  Is there an imaginary line where you start seeing more
gray-faced than tawny-faced?

The Kleb Woods owl in question does have a tawny-colored tail (not seen in the
photos), and you can see other parts of the owl are warmer-colored in the
photos posted above.

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Kendra Kocab
Naturalist: Kleb Woods Nature Center
Commissioner Steve Radack
Harris County Precinct 3