[texbirds] Re: Black-tailed Godwit notes (and naming)

  • From: Stenmead <stenmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 17:52:02 -0500

Black tailed Godwit still present at 5:50pm.

Stennie meadours
On cty rd 227

Sent from my Samsung Epic™ 4G

Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all -

Arrived back home at Noon (8 hours driving, 2 hours looking at Godwit), and am
downloading images to my laptop.   I will post to TexBirds FB page as soon as
they are done.

What a GREAT bird!    Thanks, Ron!!!!

The Godwit was doing a lot of feeding, and occasionally would fly up and
"helicopter" about 10 - 15 feet above the water, then land in a different area
and continue feeding.    Could it have been checking out new feeding areas in
the watercourse?   What would be its visual cues as to where it should land
next?    Very interesting.

Occasionally, it would fuss at the Black-necked Stilts and fly around, but it
seemed to mostly ignore the 2 Hudsonian Godwits.

I have always had a (rather childish) fascination with naming rare birds, and
in honor of my CT roots as the birthplace of the helicopter, I christen the
helicoptering Black-tailed Godwit "Igor"', after Igor Sikorsky, the creator of
the first helicopter and founder of the company of the same name.

I hope that Igor remains at Brazoria NWR long enough that everyone that wants
to see him gets the opportunity to do so!

Clay Taylor
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at