[texbirds] Re: Banding Codes on TEXBIRDS

  • From: txbrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 05:20:16 -0700 (PDT)

In my opinion, it's better to avoid codes in public list-serve groups. The
fairly regular changes in bird names by the scientists is another reason....

Best regards,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX

From: Harvey Laas <hlaas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Banding Codes on TEXBIRDS
To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, June 24, 2012, 10:24 PM

The six-letter codes seem like a good idea; however, there are at least three
different ones out there I found with just a brief internet search.  Each one
is slightly different.  I first saw a 6-letter code in the 2008 Smithsonian
Field Guide that includes a disc with calls of 138 species.  The back of the
guide lists these 138 species with a 6-letter code that it says is
standardized, but doesn’t mention by whom and it only prints the code for the
species on the disc.  I found 6-letter codes by John Shipman and Bruce Bowman
on the Spokane Audubon website and each has some variation.

It looks like the 6 letter code is a good idea that hasn’t been standardized
yet, so David’s point is especially valid.

Harvey Laas
10 miles N of Brookshire
Picking nits since 66

Good Point, David - the inherent problems with the 4-letter codes almost make
them more of a hindrance than a help.

Corey Finger of the 10,000 Birds blog site uses a six-letter bird code that
seems to do a pretty good job of eliminating the obvious duplications.   Thus,
the Black-tailed Godwit becomes BLTAGO and a Bar-tailed Godwit is a
BATAGO.

I do not know whether there is an existing list of the six-letter codes, and I
am certainly not going to champion their use or acceptance here on TexBirds,
but paraphrasing what Arlo says in Alice's Restaurant "...can you imagine fifty
people a day (using a six-letter code)...... they may thinks it's a movement"
;-)

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi),  TX