[texbirds] Anahuac lately and color-banded black-necked stilts

  • From: Thomas Riecke <riecket13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:29:13 -0700 (PDT)

Texbirders,

Anahuac has been slow but steady through June. Shorebirds have returned, with
up to 17 species seen (18 Jun).

Highlights include:

bronzed cowbird (male) continues by entrance
tropical kingbird, 20 June
red knot on Alice, Jackson, White (closed unit west of Shoveler Pond), 23 June,
undergoing extreme wing molt, will post photo to TOS list when have access to
my computer.
wood storks (up to 350 on Alice, Jackson, White), viewable at a distance from
west side of Shoveler Pond
American avocets (up to 500)
stilt sandpiper, 20 June (early or late?)

In addition, ~175 black-necked stilts have been color-banded on Anahuac over
the last two years, and capture efforts continue, 250-300 will have been banded
by the end of July, please check stilt legs for bands as we have experienced
minimal resightings (Thanks Joe Kennedy!). Much of this is due to a large stilt
population (>25,000) along the upper coast and inaccessible habitat, but I feel
that some of this is just due to people being unaware of our banding operation,
please tell others! Many of our radio-marked birds have disappeared to parts
unknown/off-refuge. Would greatly appreciate assistance relocating these
individuals.

Thanks,

Thomas Riecke
Chambers County, Texas