[texbirds] Re: African Collared-Dove (formerly Ringed Turtle-Dove) in Gatesville

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: live4birds@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 17:19:16 -0500

We still have some of the old ringed turtle doves around houston but they
have been largely swamped by the collared doves. They are also augmented by
magician doves which are released at childrens parties and weddings etc.
They do breed with the eurasians making much paler birds. I think that this
bird is such a hybrid. The magician birds are descended from the africans
with many different variants. The domestic birds keep adding gene flow to
the birds out there. At least here in houston they can find enough food to
survive for a bit.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston