[texbirds] Re: African Collared-Dove (formerly Ringed Turtle-Dove) in Gatesville

  • From: Mary Gustafson <live4birds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 18:03:29 -0400 (EDT)

That's an important question, Brush - how the ID was made.  To me it looks like
a leucistic Eurasian Collared-Dove.  The size is robust, not diminutive; the
primaries are dark (given that they are washed out); and I think the undertail
coverts are dark (for a leucistic bird).  The photo's not clear on this last
point.  These characters indicate Eurasian Collared-Dove.  Leucistic birds are
not rare given the small source population.

http://home.earthlink.net/~sonoranaturalist/id32.html has one photo showing
some differences between these species.

Mary Gustafson
Mission, Texas