[telescoperos] Fwd: News from Sidewalk Astronomers

  • From: Claudio Argandoña <claudioargandona@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: telescoperos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 01:55:19 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Donna Smith          Sidewalk Astronomers, 100 Hours of Astronomy IYA
Cornerstone Project Task Group <sidewalkastronomers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/09/2009 23:13
Subject: News from Sidewalk Astronomers
To: claudioargandona@xxxxxxxxx

<http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001FSMXJRrzIZmQnhp8rQg4fsSgSN4qbhkSLemTg-y_PY-rXELWC6IzSIlm56vnMnZZc2xZ-f0JYV17aI9C0f8SToP_5s4M1vNvZ7svyl48fU4FOe41-ydU6M-LfJ6-QZu_R3hYmcuXvRsE1VdVArtIXxjzeSi6bduB69paigZNzfEXe_DfUIUGxsS7ewb23eGIji1y4SYNgy2oOvsa-WjcbQM74BSDAnktjb2Pv9qsdaDKS9qWQCJDXrdySPw1EoDj2Nq0hQYJ945ij1olJbfSuQ28LSkKdMZ7EDMSwX1VCdT_2TKXSxhuKLANwqHBbnxKAcWi9qYE0zATsBfUmhmlqw%3D%3D>

      *The Sidewalk Astronomer*
*Newsletter of the Sidewalk Astronomers *   Sept 2009

  * In This Issue *   SA Website <#123a5cd6d4c8d873_LETTER.BLOCK11>  100
Hours Awards <#123a5cd6d4c8d873_LETTER.BLOCK12>  Update on
JD<#123a5cd6d4c8d873_LETTER.BLOCK17>  Galilean
Nights <#123a5cd6d4c8d873_LETTER.BLOCK21>  StarPeace in
Pakistan<#123a5cd6d4c8d873_LETTER.BLOCK23>  Perseids
in Russia <#123a5cd6d4c8d873_LETTER.BLOCK25>  Astronomy Radio in
Brazil<#123a5cd6d4c8d873_LETTER.BLOCK27>

  [image:
Donate]<https://www.paypal.com/cgibin/webscr?first_name=Claudio&last_name=Argando%C3%B1a&undefined_quantity=1&business=dsmith1055@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&image_url=ACCOUNT.IMAGE.19&return=&cancel_return=&item_name=Donate%20to%20the%20Sidewalk%20Astronomers&amount=15.00&shipping=0&currency_code=USD&item_number=&cmd=_xclick>
 Help the Sidewalk Astronomers! Make a donaton today.

   *Sidewalk Astronomers Website*
The website is in the process of being updated. Thank you to everyone for
your patience, it's been an incredibly busy year and we are all so busy with
IYA and local projects that it has been a challange to stay on top of
everything.
If there is something you would like on the website, please send it to
sidewalkastronomers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "website submission" in the subject
line.

  100 Hours Awards To recognize the outstanding events held during 100
Hours, awards were given and some of the events were simply amazing. A list
of winners is posted on our website and the awards ceremony can be watched
on the
www.100hoursofastronomy.org<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102663166244&s=1247&e=0014c3zBcT1dh09r56OjIgz65HgaZ17Pb8gMYhJJSxi-k8LNi05TwQw-8sMuxWFWMIuHuJjOBIbNoCdtZ2UwaSaSi9uQfA7F5nVCyt_o4vgF0MyfOCCZFBrb3tEFFNTNa40>site.
Everyone should check out the awards ceremony, so much enthusiasm from
all over the world and so much innovation. Imagine leading a camel pulling a
cart with your outreach display through the streets, setting up 120 scopes
in one location or "camping out" in a planetarium! Don't forget to take a
look at the photo galleries.

  [image: Join Our Mailing
List]<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/email.jsp?m=1101566561734>
    [image: iya]

Latest update on JD
.

John is still doing good. He recently spent some time in Oregon building
telescopes and will be going to Death Valley as usual this year between
Christmas and New Years.
 ISAN 2009 Button
We finally have the buttons from the 3rd ISAN for those of you who collect
them. They will be added to the website in the next couple of weeks and you
can order them for $2. Thanks again to Zoungy Kligge for the artwork.

   *Dear Claudio,*
We hope you had a great summer and are ready for fall, a great time to
schedule school and library programs. We also look forward to our next big
event, Galilean Nights, to be held on Oct 22-24. We hope you will all take
part!

    Galilean Nights.
On 22-24 October 2009, the new IYA2009 Cornerstone Project, Galilean Nights,
will see amateur and professional astronomers, enthusiasts and the public
taking to the streets all around the globe, pointing their telescopes to the
wonders that Galileo observed 400 years ago. Spread over three nights,
astronomers will share their knowledge and enthusiasm for space by
encouraging as many people as possible to look through a telescope at our
planetary neighbours. The focus for Galilean Nights is the objects that
Italian astronomer Galileo observed 400 years ago. These include Jupiter and
the Moon, which will be well-positioned in the night sky for observing.

The  website
www.galileannights.org<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102663166244&s=1247&e=0014c3zBcT1dh2zSe9m5xxUX7is7XlrQlJ_ydm2W23TU1wVuSWEUoRG6MD4qA0eczOygHMmJZZ91ATvLDGn6sfgYzqWpxfks3Bwh_aPSRtZMrenGHWr9jAnBqO_6eP-N9rq>is
up and running and you can now schedule events. The site is loaded
with
resources and information. For those of you who did such a fantastic job
during 100 Hours, this is a great opportunity to follow up and for those of
you who didn't hold 100 HA events, this is your chance to join the fun!

  StarPeace in Pakistan - reported by Umair Asim
It was a great evening, we really enjoyed celebrating StarPeace night at the
'World Environment Day'. We had a brief presentation at the planetarium for
the general public followed by observing.
Thank you all for managing such a productive event. In the end, as always,
we were asked by a lot of people:  "When are you going to do this again" :)

For the full report, visit
www.umairasim.com/Index/Blog/Entries/2009/6/6_StarPeace_on_World_Environment_Day.html<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102663166244&s=1247&e=0014c3zBcT1dh1IqZSv2ZdR5R5AV4GGoLlvdhVUaepDclxmJNuxwZ70CvVJF4alRfytNHJHv-I0Dm4ZIR1im_9tTm7EaQXePssI8d2vZN_infJBqENVUJU83W0WTi3gdQUjugVYG1mrEJVMtTaJAqe1sKqwvV5m6o7E7xMnASdoc1OEbQb_9tvrz4RWwxbS1f3uhIsOnuSwM46ViQIFnaJtG4uqqM_FQcXm>

[image: pakistan]

  *Perseids* - reported by Sergey Karpov
A new astronomy club has been established by the Arevera realty company and
one of their first events was a star party for the Perseids on night of
August 12/13.

The Perseids were wonderful, but not until just after 1.30 a.m., when it
finally cleared from a strong rain. Some of meteors were very bright with a
long tail shining after disappearance of the head. The Moon in last quarter
was just too bright.

There were a lot of observers at this star party (about 30 cars). This is
the first in a history for us, such mass astronomy action in Krasnoyarsk.

John really gave us an example how to arrange sidewalk astronomy actions and
include the public.[image: persieds]

 *Eclipse*  Thilina Heenatigala
Hope at least some of you caught the glimpse of the longest total solar
eclipse of the 21st century, which lasted at most 6 minutes, 39 seconds. It
was visible through Asia from India to China.

It was bit cloudy here in Colombo, and for us it was a partial eclipse. I've
managed to get few photos.

 Read the entire blog at:
http://thilinaheenatigala.blogspot.com/2009/07/longest-solar-eclipse-of-21st-century.html<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102663166244&s=1247&e=0014c3zBcT1dh1zhQkxxrpPo3c0tRemKHjIIndpBGcxN7JXAinvXEK6EndQX0fgPQ9zwpVPrbi-1vJRlYjRhPHlyzKbsj0MaJpWK4aQpd7d2Trh0ahMI1L7ZBKU7q_L1i1NxLq0QlfnaqjMTALIiKaAx7htiXKovBniTDTIAWSQtnC_e5b4hPsEtfIP0rL4WTtEqmOOkESpbUw=>

[image: eclipse]

 *Radio Astronomy in Brazil* - reported by Marcelo de Oliveira Souza
The Louis Cruls Astronomy Club launched on July 20th  Astronomy Radio.
Astronomy Radio is an experimental web radio involved with Astronomy and
Astronautics popularization. Astronomy Radio will transmit information, new,
curiosities, music and many surprises related with Astronomy and
Astronautics. Is the first Astronomy and Astronautics web radio in Brazil.
Astronomy radio is working and can be heard on the Louis Cruls Astronomy
Club blog
(http://calc.zip.net<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102663166244&s=1247&e=0014c3zBcT1dh3-okyE4gO893V7v4F9wUm3vlU6tacw7uUeF6PCqsMsVjEx5mYa28A4Ce99mhTId4bvMyJb2hIriWGekfmVf8UOgIjvuPdssjM=>).
We are transmitting the origianl audios of the Apollo 11 mission, the
programs "Teto Estrelado"  and "A Walk Through the Sky" and music about
Astronomy and Astronautics. Soon we will trasmit new programs.

  I hope you enjoy reading the newsletter, please submit updates on your
local activities to be included in future editions. Send an email to
sidewalkastronomers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "newsletter submission" in the
subject line (this is important, we get massive amounts of email and
articles won't make it to the newsletter without that note). As you can see,
photos will be small so make sure that any you send represent well in this
size.

Please forward this email to other amateur astronomers that you feel would
enjoy reading it and becoming part of the Sidewalk Astronomers community!

 Carpe Noctem... and share it!

Sidewalk Astronomers
email<http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101566561734&ea=claudioargandona%40gmail.com&a=1102663166244>
  [image: Safe
Unsubscribe]<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001P1yAzTPelCyhULT10cxCk7tfyOpJX4eQLbIaJg9gPfd3zhPkDs1D9fIsjFOEpmRq8lM1x2pGUAI%3D&p=un>
This
email was sent to claudioargandona@xxxxxxxxx by
sidewalkastronomers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Update Profile/Email
Address<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001P1yAzTPelCyhULT10cxCk7tfyOpJX4eQLbIaJg9gPfd3zhPkDs1D9fIsjFOEpmRq8lM1x2pGUAI%3D&p=oo>|
Instant removal with
SafeUnsubscribe<http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?v=001P1yAzTPelCyhULT10cxCk7tfyOpJX4eQLbIaJg9gPfd3zhPkDs1D9fIsjFOEpmRq8lM1x2pGUAI%3D&p=un>™
| Privacy Policy <http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp>.
 Email Marketing <http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=news09> by
<http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp?cc=news09>  Sidewalk Astronomers |
1946 Vedanta Place | Hollywood | CA | 90068

--
IYA2009
http://www.astronomy2009.org/