Re: part rant (implied) part request for help - Win95 to Win98upgrades

  • From: "F.M. Taylor" <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:03:39 -0500 (EST)

Well, my wife is running W98 on a P166MMX with 48MB.  Its slower than
coding while "small"*, but it runs.  From the experience I would suggest
that a P200 with 64MB would be the lowest machine you would be able to put
up with.

* Steve Martin reference.

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Jerry Hargis wrote:

> Ignoring anything other than technical issues and Microsoft's lame
> advice (see actual quote below), I need practical advice on what to
> consider as a realistic limit on the configuration and hardware of
> computers that will be upgraded from Windows95 to Windows98. Ignoring
> Microsoft's lower limit of a 486/66 with 24 MB of RAM, what do any of
> you think I should set as a lower limit for hardware?

---
Mike Taylor
Coordinator of Systems Administration and Network Security
Indiana State University.               Rankin Hall Rm 039
210 N 7th St.                           Terre Haute, IN.
Voice: 812-237-8843                                  47809
---
"You have zero privacy anyway.  Get over it."
           --Scott McNealy, Sun MicroSystems.