part rant (implied) part request for help - Win95 to Win98upgrades

  • From: "Jerry Hargis" <CCHARGIS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:25:39 -0500

Ignoring anything other than technical issues and Microsoft's lame
advice (see actual quote below), I need practical advice on what to
consider as a realistic limit on the configuration and hardware of
computers that will be upgraded from Windows95 to Windows98. Ignoring
Microsoft's lower limit of a 486/66 with 24 MB of RAM, what do any of
you think I should set as a lower limit for hardware?

The first step that Microsoft lists in How to Upgrade Win95 to Win98
is:

"Want to upgrade from Windows 95 to Windows 98 Second Edition? Here's
how
First, when you upgrade your computer to a new operating system, always
save your important files to floppy disks. These files include your
documents as well as Internet Explorer bookmarks, your address book, and
e-mail messages. If you have files that are too large to fit on floppy
disks, you can send those files to a friend or colleague via e-mail for
safekeeping during the upgrade. "
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/guide/Win98/WhyUpgrade/wanttoupgrade.asp