Re: mp3 playback

  • From: Troy V.Barkmeier <barky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:45:13 -0500

>For about a hundred bucks, you can get a radio-frequency
>transmitter-receiver pair at Radio Shack. You plug the transmitter into
>the headphone jack on your computer and the receiver into an auxiliary
>jack on your stereo.

I like it. My computer system is in the basement, my entertainment center
is in the living room, and I'm a bit nervous about drilling too many
holes in the floor of my rental house. And $99 isn't too bad.  Of course,
if you already own a CD-R/RW drive, you could always just spend another
$40 and get a bitchin' free DVD player as well:

I've really enjoyed my 600A (the previous model with the infamous shady
"loophole menu" that I've never had occasion to use), despite the fact
that due to a firmware glitch, I once spent an hour trying to get Stuart
Little to load up for a very impatient three-year-old. The MP3 titles
show up on screen so that you can select them with the remote, or just
burn six hours worth of your favorite tunes onto a CD-RW and set it for
"shuffle"; nifty stuff.

Observation attributed to Prof. Robert Wilensky of the University of
California at Berkeley:

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the
Internet, we know this is not true."