Re: http://www.multimania.com/simplemacs/SpeedDownloadDocs/index.html

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:22:29 -0500

"Jerry Hargis" <CCHARGIS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> http://www.multimania.com/simplemacs/SpeedDownloadDocs/index.html
>
> Is this interesting technology, or am I too easily impressed?

  It's a relatively novel idea, but even I've started multiple FTP sessions
to the same place to download more than one file at a time, using netscape
or even multiple FTP's in different windows.  Nothing really new.  The
getting of one file with 32 different regets is interesting I guess.

  Now watch as ftp server admins install ftp servers that only allow one
connection from one host at a time (trival to put in) or just throttle all
bandwidth to the same host through the same limiter. I predict that this
hack will be made useless about 10 hours from now (if it hasn't already).

  It's a technological arms race out there, and no one is going to win.

                                                                - Steve