You may now use "c = m(e) mod n".

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 13:48:32 -0500

  In an incredible feat of faux generosity, RSA security releases RSA into
the public domain a whole two weeks before the patent expires:

  Now you too can code "c = m(e) mod n" and securely exchange very large
prime numbers in the privacy of your own home.  If anyone is interested I
have some code that almost implements RSA. I didn't finish it because the
incentive to finish coding something you're not going to get credit for and
you can't even use until the patent expires is not very strong in me.

  Seriously though, strong encryption is going to be a necessity, and it's
my opinion that access to and freedom to use strong encryption should be
made a constitutionally guaranteed right.

                                                                - Steve