Re: VA Linux to use AMD chips?

  • From: Neil Doane <caine@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:24:35 -0800

* Hunter (hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) on [03-22-01 05:23] did utter:
> According to this article (in german, translate at babelfish or muck your way
> thorugh it): http://www.tecchannel.de/news/20010322/thema20010322-3961.html
>
> AMD was/is demoing some new systems at CeBit, including a VA Linux dual Athlon
> box. What's the deal with this Neil? :) I though VA was an Intel house...

We have no reason to be exclusive.  It's been a while since I was on any
product devel teams, so I dunno what they're doing.  I know we've had test
SMP boxes from AMD floating around engineering for like a year though.  I'm
sure if operations saw a viable AMD process, that is, that we could get
enough of them fast enough when we needed them (assuming that the AMD boxen
w3rk3d as desired), VA would love to sell them...they have alot of fans in
engineering as it is.  AFAIK, the only reason we've stuck with Intel thus
far is because they can open up an Alaskan pipeline of supply in the time
it takes you to read this sentence and shut it off with a half-thought while
AMD wasn't quite to that level of organizational prowess yet.  That and
historically, Intel were major investors in the pre-IPO daze so nobody wanted
to step on the toes of the guy with the dough...since the IPO, though,
that's changed and for all I know, AMD may have their shit wired now.

Neil

       . /._ o /     --personal="caine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
      /|//- / /     --business="caine@xxxxxxxxxxx"
     / ''- / /__   --homepage="http://antediluvian.org/";