Re: They are better looking, as well.

  • From: Neil Doane <caine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:31:44 -0600

Poor attempt at an ad hominem.  Typical Mac Debate Team member. ;)  Chat,
argue the arguement, not the person speaking.  :)

The arguement remains the same: compare drivers of Land Rover Discovery IIs
to <every other automobile>-using counterparts and what do you think you'll
find?   Surprise surprise, Land Rover owners are better educated and make
more money.  Does that make them a better truck off the trail than
everything else?  Not hardly.  I run into $10k Jeep CJs with 8"
lifts, axle lockers and 35" Super Swampers and custom suspensions that will
trounce my truck over technical rock crawling challenges 8 days a week.
Does it mean my truck is better at carrying people long distances?  Nope,
lots of SUVs are more comfortable and have more creature comforts...hell
new Explorers have seats that fold themselves up now.   Why am I on my
second Discovery II then?   Same reason you're on your Mac probably; I like
it.   I don't have any need to justify it with "Land Rovers are the best,
look, we're all smarter and richer than you fools!"  I simply dig it.  It
looks cool.  It's got off-road prowess that is arguably the best in the SUV
class, and big meaty tires.  It takes me camping and climbing.   It's rare
enough and stylish enough that people come up to me on the street and
compliment me on it out of the blue all the time, which I find increases
my purchase satisfaction, not to mention how personable and family-like the
Land Rover dealerships are.  There's nothing elitist about it, I bought
this 2001 last December used on Ebay with 4k miles on it for $26,000...much
cheaper than a new Explorer (base MSRP of the 2002 Explorer XLS is
$37,700...the high-end model's MSRP is $46,925) and, by the way,
WAAAAY cheaper than a Ford Expedition (with an MSRPs that range from
$44,760 to a whopping $52,385!)   I don't see anything run-of-the-mill
about Explorers other than perhaps their production numbers.   So what does
the fact that Land Rover drivers are richer and better educated prove then
anyway?  Nothing.  Nothing at all.  You could do the same thing with
Explorer drivers vs <every other automobile> too...or Lexus drivers, or
drivers of Mercedes G-wagons, or Hummer drivers.

I guess to some, a DII is a status symbol, to me (and to Land Rover owners
in just about every other country in the world), it's just a truck that
does what I want it to (which, I'd bet, is far more than most SUV owners
expect of their vehicles*), still, I'll accept it as one for the sake of
this still doesn't change the fact that that study has zero
value other than as marketing hook for Cnet News and, obviously, to fuel
the Apple hyperbole machine, which seems to crave feces to sling at users
of everything else.  Sorry if I seem particularly vociferous; all technical
arguments aside, I think the thing that pisses me off most about the story
itself is how blatantly manipulative ZDNet and Nielsen, et al. are
and how successful they are at being that way.