Re: They are better looking, as well.

  • From: Neil Doane <caine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:00:56 -0600

* Jerold Hargis (sigrah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx), on [07-15-02 08:23], wrote:
> http://news.com.com/2102-1040-943519.html

Wow...what a news flash.

"In other news, Neilsen/NetRatings released a study today that said that 95%
of all persons who own $35,000 gas guzzling car crunching status-symbol SUVs
are better educated and richer than their <all other automobiles>-using
counterparts."

Pick an expensive status symbol, any expensive status symbol, then
compare its users to users of everything else in the same general class
and what do you think you'll find?  This study is just more totally
meaningless Nielsen marketing drivel.  It has an eye-catching conclusion
that is bound to be pounced on by those naive enough to believe that those
with wealth or academic station choose only the "best" products to invest
in.  It's been my experience that the most wealthy and better-educated
persons I've ever met tend to spend their money on the most blatant
status-symbol crap I've ever seen just because it's shiny, or see-through,
or has a gold Lexus badge on it, or some other idiotic reason.  Notice that
the page doesn't even _link_ to the actual study itself?  Has anyone who's
forwarded this on actually_looked_ at their methodology?  No, of course
not...it has a flashy headline, so people forward it along happily as proof of
their Macinrighteousness and Ian Fried, Staff Writer, CNET News.com cackles
happily as he realizes his plan to increase his story's hit score is working
like a champ.

Neil

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!"
        -- Rage Against The Machine, "Wake Up"