The week in review...

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:34:54 -0500

  Just a few misc. things I'd like to comment on.

 - Getting OpenSSH to work on a libc5 machine is a pain in the ass.  If
   anyone else is curious as to what it takes, I now know the answer. There
   isn't as much animal sacrifice as you might have been lead to believe
   either.

 - After over 2 years with no upgrades, we're finally getting $300 to
   upgrade the hard drives on mama. Woo!  We're in the money... We're in the
   money... We have a lot of what it takes to get along!

   2 45GB hard drives will be what we're getting if you're at all curious.
   I'm getting kind of tired of this myself. I mean compared with the IT
   dept. my machine room looks like the third world of computing.  Everyone
   wants the shit to work, and run real fast and they always want more hard
   drive space, but come budget time I get jack and shit.  I wonder if I
   could go on strike until they give me a fucking budget I can work with.

 - SSH communications decided they own the term SSH and don't like OpenSSH
   using it one bit.  I'm still kinda pissed those bastards stole it from
   me.  I had written ssh (Steve's SHell) in 1991 and it was certainly
   published in comp.sources.unix by 1993, three whole years before ssh
   decided they owned the term.  Too bad unlike a patent, there is no such
   thing as a prior art test for registered three letter acronyms.

   Maybe someone should file some 17575 registrations on all the untaken
   three letter acronyms.  Then force the military to cough up some dough if
   they want to keep using all their three letter acronyms.  There's
   probably a lot of money in that.

 - Big Trouble in Little China is finally coming to DVD on a two disk set,
   complete with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio tracks, 2.35:1 anamorphic
   widescreen transfer, commentary track by the director John Carpenter and
   Kurt Russell, a making-of, deleted scenes, a never before seen alternate
   ending, a still gallery with rare photos and promotional materials, and
   DVD-ROM features and basically more extras than you can stick a shake
   at.  This movie is one of the reasons I bought a DVD player for.  I'm a
   happy boy, as this is one of my all time favorite movies.  It should be
   out by 5/22.

 - Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is an OK movie, but I've seen better.  Too
   much wire-fu, even for me, and a predicable ending.  It must be against
   the law in Hong Kong to make movies with happy endings.

                                                                - Steve