So what's the inside buzz on this? "The Others" vs. Red Hat?

  • From: "M.K. Chatterji" <chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:25:18 -0500

FOUR LINUX VENDORS (BUT NOT RED HAT) FORM ALLIANCE
Linux software vendors Caldera, Turbolinx, SuSE and Conective -- but not
Linux industry leader Red Hat -- have formed an alliance called UnitedLinux
for joint distribution and R&D, and will sell jointly developed products
under their own names. Although Linux is given out free as part of the "open
source" programming movement, individual companies charge for technical
support and other services. Why wasn't Red Hat included in the alliance? It
was invited to join, but a Red Hat executive said: "We are not sure what to
make of it, because they called us yesterday and have been working on it for
months. We cannot join anything we don't understand." (AP/San Jose
Mercury-News 30 May 2002)
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3368020.htm