Re: Scary...

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 17:11:04 -0500

On Thursday 21 June 2001 12:56, you wrote:
>   From LWN.net:
>
> CRYPTO-GRAM Newsletter. Bruce Schneier's CRYPTO-GRAM Newsletter for June
> [1] is out. It covers a wide range of topics, including the grc.com
> attacks and the Honeynet project. "The results are fascinating. A random
> computer on the Internet is scanned dozens of times a day. The life
> expectancy of a default installation of Red Hat 6.2 server, or the time
> before someone successfully hacks it, is less than 72 hours. A common
> home user setup, with Windows 98 and file sharing enabled, was hacked
> five times in four days. Systems are subjected to NetBIOS scans an
> average of 17 times a day. And the fastest time for a server being
> hacked: 15 minutes after plugging it into the network."
>
> [1] http://lwn.net/2001/0621/a/crypto-gram.php3

That GRC jackass totally pissed me off.  If anyone's interested, you can
read my rants from another list
(//www.freelists.org/archives/computertalkshop/06-2001/fullthread74.html),
but really, what a load of crap.  It's the ISP's responsibility -- I think
Microsoft should actually be congratulated for finally adopting a real
sockets implementation.  It's too bad they ripped off the BSD people to do
it, but still...

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA
# Linux, Apache, Perl and C: All the best things in life are free!