Re: SCO: oh, the irony of it all

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 14:34:30 -0500

"F.M. Taylor" <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> The only SCO boxen in my area were "upgraded" to a pile of partz last
> century.  Power users have the habit of using the latest and greatest
> thing, and currently, linux is it.  However, the day will come when Linux
> is no longer the preffered operating system for das ubergeek, and it will
> go away too.  When was the last time you saw a CP/M> prompt.  If AIX
> wasn't big and blue, it would be gone too.

  Allow me to disagree.  Linux will evolve, as it's already doing, into
perhaps, something else.  At the very least the code that goes into linux
may well live on in the next so called "ubergeek" OS, which will most
likely, be just as free as Linux.

  Also, I have a suspicion that OS's aren't going to evolve much more, at
least not the kernel part of the OS, perhaps the user interface will, but
really, once you get down to it, a good VM, memory protection, filesystems,
networking and the like are all that really belong in the kernel and Linux
is getting those things to the point where its starting to become the
leader.  Linux with the TUX kernel mode http daemon is now the fastest web
server on the planet.  A 4 processor Linux box on Intel can now handily beat
an 8 processor RS/6000.  I expect such trends to continue.

  Userspace apps will come and go, but the underlying operating system
needn't change that much.  As linux proves, this 30+ year old design has

                                                                - Steve

P.S. The last time I saw a DOS> prompt was last week, and well, DOS == CP/M,
     so I don't think your example of a dead OS is very apt.