SCO: oh, the irony of it all

  • From: weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:08:19 -0500 (EST)

I read last night that SCO is up for sale.  How interesting.

It seems now that all these companies (does ISU run any SCO boxes?) that insist
that investing lots of money in a "commercial" unix may be up the Unix creek
without a paddle.  The idea that "well, we'll *buy* from them, so we don't have
to pay for better administrators" is quite a flawed concept.  What happens to
the support contracts?  What happens to all the money invested in a deprecated,
proprietary system?

This seems like a great example of one of the problems with spending lots of
money for something that may not be there in a few years, and a great example
of why open systems (like, oh.. say, Linux) aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
 It seems that Linux, *because* of its lack of a single commercial backing is a
wiser choice than others.

And what if Microsoft somehow suffers the same fate as SCO?  At least I can be
sure that all my linux boxes are well-supported, and always will be.

John