Re: Plan 9

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:09:25 -0500

"Jerry Hargis" <CCHARGIS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Are any of the technocrats familiar enough with Plan 9 (the OS) to
> comment on it?

  I'm only really familiar with it's shell, "rc".  Which was their answer to
bourne shell, aka the default shell, for Plan 9.  It's much more C like, and
has many nice features, although it didn't seem like it was good on the
interactive side of things.  A far better scripting language than bash (as
it was intended to be).  You can get rc for Linux.

  My understanding of plan 9 is that it is a lot like Unix, and most Unix
apps can easily be ported, but it has a different methadology.  The main
focus was to improve what worked well in Unix. This meant making things like
distributed computing and application bundling (via pipes and plumbing)
easier and better. I can't say much more about it than that, since quite
frankly until they made it Open Source, it just didn't matter to the rest of
the world.  It was more research playground than working OS, but mostly I
think that Bell labs is responsible for that.  I don't think they ever knew
what to do with it.  Probably why the developers lost interest and started
playing with Inferno, which I know even less about.

  Anyway, information on Plan 9 can be found here:

  http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/index.html

  The preface to the 2nd edition under manual pages gives a bit of an
overview of what Plan 9 is about.  There is even a screenshot of a system.
Pretty crude by Linux's standards, but Linux was about that crude 5-6 years
ago.  Its portability library might make adding GTK/Gnome pretty easy, and
that would solve that problem.

  You can download it from there as well, and try playing with it on your
machine. Let me know if you do, I'd like a look-see.

                                                                - Steve