Re: P4 won't run Linux...

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:20:53 -0500

Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> How could this be true? The install programs bail out because they don't
> recognize the CPU? Is this FUD or are the distro's install scripts that anal?

  So it would seem.  Orginally I thought this had something to do with the
Kernels cpu detection mechanism, but it would appear not to be the case.
The installer looks for the CPU id to determine which binary suite to
install (be it run of the mill i386, pentium optimized, sparc, etc), and
it's not smart enough to just fall back on i386 when it doesn't know what the
architecture is.

  This would proabably be a problem for any distro, including windows if
they support more than one architecture, which those distros based on rpm
do, whether they want to or not.

  Of course venerable old Slackware doesn't have this problem.  Good old

                                                                - Steve