Re: Mac OS X is doomed - Linus says it's "crap"

  • From: Troy V.Barkmeier <barky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Technocracy" <technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 09:48:42 -0500

Here's some light reading on this topic:

http://homepage.mac.com/gaggan/mosx.html
http://www.macnn.com/feature.php?id=10
http://www.daemonnews.org/200011/osx-daemon.html

The upshot seems to be that Mach is a microkernel that can be substituted
for the standard kernel in the various flavors of BSD. Apple took
FreeBSD, dropped in a Mach microkernel, added some NetBSD commands and a
few other things, and they named this amalgam Darwin and released it as
open source.

I have OS X GM if any ISU'ers want to take a look.

TVB

Observation attributed to Prof. Robert Wilensky of the University of
California at Berkeley:

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the
Internet, we know this is not true."