RE: MS eats crow...

  • From: "Bell, John" <JBell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 20:46:48 -0500

> Ooops... That'll teach 'em, eh?

Actually, no, it won't. Nor will it teach any of their customers.
No one cares because they can't get the monkey off their backs.

In short, they're addicts.

Putting out stories like this is like putting out a story that
cigarrettes are bad for you, say, twenty years ago. Sure, we
all got the message. Sure, cigarrette smoking went on the
decline for a little while. For the most part though, those
that were smokers didn't give a rats ass one way or the other.
They just wanted cigarrettes. As the marketing blitzkrieg
continued unabated, people forgot all about the "it'll give
you cancer and you'll die" garbage and proceeded to make
the tobacco industry grow insanely profitable.

Even after the huge fines etc. I still don't see people who
are smokers want to stop smoking. They can't, no matter how
many patches and so on they throw at their addiction. They're
going to get cancer, and they're going to die, but _they just
don't care_.

This break-in has proven that the entire M$ customer base
is screwed. Forever. They're going to get cancer, and they're
going to die. What was Wall Street's reaction? M$ shares
_gained_ in value on the day of the announcement. Nobody
cares, least of all the people whose portfolios have everything
to lose and nothing to gain with a weaker M$. Just keep pushing
product, boys, we'll worry about the results of our decisions

It's enough to make you want to go out and buy M$ stock. They're
doing the same thing that Phillip Morris did when their core
product was under attack - they are diversifying into other
areas (note that the majority of their 3rd quarter profits
came not from sales, but from the returns on the industry-related
_investments_ that they made). When Phillip Morris bought Kraft Foods
(and RJR bought Nabisco, same thing) they saw the same result - the
majority of their profits came from purchases they made with blood
money until they could get their core business back on track.

Believe you me, M$ has all the money they need to convert into time.
When you can buy that much time, time is on your side. Twenty years
from now, when M$ software is more ubiquitous and pervasive then
we could ever have imagined in our worst nightmares, we'll look
back on this incident and wonder why anyone kept buying it.

Sound familiar?